The Science of Marketing: Insights from Marketing Expert Sandeep Dayal
In this episode, I speak with Sandeep Dayal, the Managing Director of consulting firm Cerenti, about his extensive experience advising senior executives at Fortune 500 companies in industries spanning pharmaceuticals, financial services, and consumer products. Sandeep is regarded as one of the leading minds in marketing and brand strategy and has co-authored articles in Marketing Management, McKinsey Quarterly, and Strategy+Business.
We delve into his latest book, “Branding Between the Ears,” which draws on his years of experience in working with some of the most successful consumer brands and his company’s proprietary knowledge capital. Sandeep’s current research focuses on Cognitive Branding and Selling, which translates the latest advances in behavioral economics and social psychology into completely new ways for developing modern power brands and driving up salesforce performance.
In this insightful conversation, Sandeep shares his thoughts on the three elements that make up a cognitive brand, how to know when to shift a marketing strategy, the messaging that makes a client feel like a brand understands them, mistakes brands most often make, and the process behind finding new marketing research studies. He also discusses the importance of brands of wisdom and brands chosen by deliberation, as well as how to get people to buy your brand and three ways to have intrinsic motivation.
Finally, Sandeep shares his hope for entrepreneurs after they read his book and what is on the horizon for brands. This episode is a must-listen for anyone interested in marketing and brand strategy, and for entrepreneurs looking to take their businesses to the next level.
We talk about:
- [0:00] Intro
- [2:30] Three elements that make up a cognitive brand
- [7:30] When to know how to shift a marketing strategy
- [9:40] The messaging that makes a client feel like a brand understands them
- [13:10] Mistakes brands most often make
- [16:20] The process behind finding new marketing research studies
- [25:10] Brands of wisdom
- [25:50] Brands chosen by deliberation
- [29:00] Getting people to buy your brand
- [31:25] Three ways to have intrinsic motivation
- [35:30] Sandeep’s hope for entrepreneurs after they read his book
- [37:40] What is on the horizon for brands
Connect with Sandeep here:
Connect with Kaye here: